Roughly one year ago, I authored a post called “25 Things about Me that You Might Not Know.” The initial idea for the post was in response to a silly Facebook challenge going viral at the time. In the spirit of good fun, here are 25 MORE things about me that you might not know. (The key, I think, to a fun and revealing challenge is to answer honestly.)
25 More Things about Me:
- I don’t own a car.
- I was never nominated by anyone to participate in the “Ice Bucket Challenge” for ALS…and I’m fine with that. I prefer to spend my charitable dollars on environmental causes, or to support the arts.
- Although I love music, I do not own an iPod.
- I was only semi-serious when, earlier this year, I vowed over FB to go on a “no-fruit diet.” However, I’ve more-or-less managed to keep true to that resolution. Surely that doesn’t carry any adverse health effects…right? 😉
- I was engaged to be married once…a long time ago.
- I had laser eye surgery in 2011. It wasn’t LASIK, but a procedure called PRK. My surgeon, Dr. Maloney, was one of the surgeons to the stars. Additionally, my regular eye doctor created special effect contact lenses for the Oscar-winning makeup team that worked on “Men in Black” and on the “X-Men” films, among others.
- I often brag that I could eat macaroni – or spaghetti – seven days a week. However, I’ve never actually taken on that challenge and may have to eat my words (along with all those noodles).
- Speaking of macaroni, sometimes when I make mac-and-cheese, I don’t mix in the cheese powder with milk and butter. Rather, I sprinkle it on the noodles after the fact. The flavor is stronger, cheesier, and altogether better. Try it, folks!
- Other foods that I love and could eat several times/week: hummus, couscous, chicken wings, garlic bread, white cheddar popcorn.
- I once was suckered into a game of three-card Monte…and promptly lost my hard-earned greenbacks. Come to think of it, they were Hungarian forints, not U.S. dollars.
- I have visited 41 U.S. states and lived in three of them.
- More travel statistics: I’ve been to 70 countries at last count. This includes the U.S. and treats China, Hong Kong, and Macau separately as they each have different visa regulations.
- Speaking of the PRC, I’ve been to mainland China three times.
- The most expensive excursion from all my travels? Gorilla trekking in Uganda at $500 USD/hour!
- I am not a big fan of the “Rambo” or “Rocky” franchises. Poor Sly.
- I don’t like – nor do I really understand, I don’t think – American football.
- I attended India’s first-ever F1 Formula One race in 2011.
- I struggle with depression sometimes.
- I think “Raiders of the Lost Ark” has the single-greatest opening sequence in any film ever made.
- I know the words to every song from the “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” episode “Once More, with Feeling.” Yes!
- I have flown on exactly 454 airplane(s) in my life.
- I have jumped out of exactly one airplane(s) in my life.
- Animals that I have held include the requisite dogs, cats, and hamsters, but also exotic birds, a baby lamb, racoons, scarab beetles, a shark, a crocodile, a Burmese python, and one seriously cantankerous red panda.
- I love museums and could spend hours inside one with only the slightest hint of fatigue.
- I am 39 years old and still feel unsure sometimes about what I want to do with my life.
Thanks for reading. Was there anything on this list that caught you by surprise? Let me – and your fellow Loyal Readers – know in the comments section below!
10 thoughts on “25 (MORE) Things about Me that You Might Not Know”
I enjoy learning about people this way, with random facts about themselves, not just based on what job they have or if they have wife/husband and kids, you know…
I was never nominated for ALS either.
Why would you not eat fruit? It’s awesome.. Any specific reason?
I love hummus too.
Wow, 70 countries!
How do you even stat to know how many planes you’ve flown?
I wish I have jumped off a plane. Probably in my top 2 things I want to do.
Gorilla trekking sounds like one of the most unique experiences I’ve heard of, for some reason I first pictured it as riding a gorilla across the wilderness. Haha.
LOL, I’d love to ride a gorilla across the wilderness, although I suppose that sort of thing is frowned upon. Anyway, I’ll write more about the gorilla trekking safari in a future post.
With a few exceptions (grapes, apples, strawberries maybe), I really don’t like fruit all that much. I guess I’m weird like that. 🙂
Go to http://www.flightmemory.com to log your flights. You can be as day- and time-specific as you want. It’s fun to watch your route map grow!
Thanks for your questions, Mani!
I had no idea you were a traveler! Seriously? Still eating Easy Mac? Lol. Now I gotta count my airplanes. Thanks Snakessssss!
Easy Mac never gets old. Thanks for reading, Craig!
Agree completely with #19!
Great post! Thanks for sharing.
And thanks for reading!
We should have watched Buffy… as you know, I know the words, too. We could have sang along to it.
And I will confirm #24 🙂
Also, I’m not sure anyone ever really knows what they want to be when they grow up.
Some people do, Jenny. Crazy ones, mostly. 😉