Roughly one year ago, I authored a post called “25 Things about Me that You Might Not Know.” The initial idea for the post was in response to a silly Facebook challenge going viral at the time. In the spirit of good fun, here are 25 MORE things about me that you might not know. (The key, I think, to a fun and revealing challenge is to answer honestly.)
25 More Things about Me:
- I don’t own a car.
- I was never nominated by anyone to participate in the “Ice Bucket Challenge” for ALS…and I’m fine with that. I prefer to spend my charitable dollars on environmental causes, or to support the arts.
- Although I love music, I do not own an iPod.
- I was only semi-serious when, earlier this year, I vowed over FB to go on a “no-fruit diet.” However, I’ve more-or-less managed to keep true to that resolution. Surely that doesn’t carry any adverse health effects…right? 😉
- I was engaged to be married once…a long time ago.
- I had laser eye surgery in 2011. It wasn’t LASIK, but a procedure called PRK. My surgeon, Dr. Maloney, was one of the surgeons to the stars. Additionally, my regular eye doctor created special effect contact lenses for the Oscar-winning makeup team that worked on Men in Black and the X-Men films, among others.
- I often brag that I could eat macaroni – or spaghetti – seven days a week. However, I’ve never actually taken on that challenge and may have to eat my words (along with all those noodles).
- Speaking of macaroni, sometimes when I make mac-and-cheese, I don’t mix in the cheese powder with milk and butter. Rather, I sprinkle it on the noodles after the fact. The flavor is stronger, cheesier, and altogether better. Try it, folks!
- Other foods that I love and could eat several times/week: hummus, couscous, chicken wings, garlic bread, white cheddar popcorn.
- I once was suckered into a game of three-card Monte…and promptly lost my hard-earned greenbacks. Come to think of it, they were Hungarian forints, not U.S. dollars.
- I’ve visited 41 U.S. states and lived in three of them.
- More travel statistics: I’ve been to 70 countries at last count. This includes the U.S. and treats China, Hong Kong, and Macau separately as they each have different visa regulations.
- Speaking of the PRC, I’ve been to mainland China three times.
- The most expensive excursion from all my travels? Gorilla trekking in Uganda at $500 USD/hour!
- I’m not a big fan of the Rambo or Rocky franchises. Poor Sly.
- I don’t like – nor do I really understand – American football.
- I attended India’s first-ever F1 Formula One race in 2011.
- I struggle with depression sometimes.
- I think Raiders of the Lost Ark has the single-greatest opening sequence in any film ever made.
- I know the words to every song from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode “Once More, with Feeling.” Yes!
- I’ve flown on 454 airplane(s) in my life.
- I’ve jumped out of one airplane(s) in my life.
- Animals that I have held include the requisite dogs, cats, and hamsters, but also exotic birds, a baby lamb, racoons, scarab beetles, a shark, a crocodile, a Burmese python, and one seriously cantankerous red panda.
- I love museums and could spend hours inside one with only the slightest hint of fatigue.
- I’m 39 years old and still feel unsure sometimes about what I want to do with my life.
Thanks for reading. Was there anything on this list that caught you by surprise? Let me – and your fellow Loyal Readers – know in the comments section below!